… reverses 9 controversial policies introduced by Trump
US President, Joe Biden has signed 17 executive orders on his first day in office.
1. Executive order on mask/coronavirus This mandates the use of masks and physical distancing in federal buildings, on federal lands and by government contractors, and urges states and local governments to do the same.
2. Executive order on WHO This stops the United States’ withdrawal from the World Health Organization (WHO) as earlier directed by Trump.
3. Executive order on COVID-19 response This creates the position of COVID-19
4. Executive order on nationwide moratorium This order extends the existing nationwide moratorium on evictions and foreclosures until at least March 31.
5. Executive order on student loan
This extends the existing pause on student loan payments and interest for Americans with federal student loans until at least September 30.
7. Executive order on Keystone XL pipeline This cancels the Keystone XL pipeline and directs agencies to review and reverse more than 100 Trump actions on the environment.
8. Executive order on racial equity This rescinds the Trump administration’s 1776 Commission, directs agencies to review their actions to ensure racial equity.
9. Executive order on gender equity This prevents workplace discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.
10. Executive order on census This requires non-citizens to be included in the Census and apportionment of congressional representatives, reversing another Trump’s policy.
11. Executive order on immigration This fortifies the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) after Trump’s efforts to undo protections for undocumented people brought into the country as children.
12. Executive order on some passport holders This reverses the Trump administration’s restrictions on US entry for passport holders from seven Muslim-majority countries.
13. Executive order on immigration enforcement This reverses Trump’s expansion of immigration enforcement within the United States.
14. Executive order on border wall This halts construction of the border wall by terminating the national emergency declaration used to fund it.
15. Executive order on deportation This order extends deferrals of deportation and work authorizations for Liberians with a safe haven in the United States until June 30, 2022.
16. Executive order on ethics This requires executive branch appointees to sign an ethics pledge barring them from acting in personal interest and requiring them to uphold the independence of the Department of Justice.
17. Executive order on regulation This directs the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) director to develop recommendations to modernize regulatory review and undoes Trump’s regulatory approval process.
Meanwhile, Nine of the executive orders reversed some controversial policies introduced by his immediate predecessor, Donald Trump, while the remaining borders on the new policies by the president.